I took 2 litres of raw cow's milk from the dairy farm and had a go at some soft cheeses. Well there were many problems with this batch which can be summarised as follows:
1. For making a soft, non-pressed French-style cheese (Brie, Chaource or Coulommiers) you put whole curd into the moulds and let the whey drain out in its own good time. The moulds I had were not very tall so the cheeses came out rather flat.
2. My P.candidum spores didn't arrive in time for me to include them in the milk, so I made a suspension of the spores in boiled water and dipped the cheeses in them afterwards. This worked ok but the white bloom on the rind was a bit patchy.
3. I hadn't worked out the best possible storage solution so the cheeses were left open to the air in my kitchen, and a few patches of (harmless but unaesthetic) grey mould developed on the surface.
The solutions are:
1. I have bought new moulds. (Coulommiers means "columns" which is a reference to the mould shape)
2. I will add the spores to the milk next time!
3. I now have an elaborate tupperware-and-wire-rack storage solution ready for the beer fridge.
And here are the photos of the best one, which are also not up to scratch, being somewhat soft-focus, but I can't take them again because we ate the cheese.